Recipe of the Month: Baked Sweet Potato Topped with Caramelized Apples and Honey
- 1 small-medium sized sweet potato
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 eating apple, sliced but not peeled
- a pinch of cinnamon
- 2 tsp honey
- Preheat your oven to gas mark 7/220ºC/425ºF and line a baking sheet with foil.
- Wash the sweet potato and pierce it all over with a sharp knife.
- Place on the tray and bake for 40 minutes.
- Check the sweet potato – it should be crisp-skinned but tender in the centre. Now, get on with the apple topping. Heat the coconut oil in a small frying pan and drop in the apple slices. Drizzle in 1 tsp of the honey and turn the heat up, stirring, so that the apple starts to turn golden. Add a dash of cinnamon as you go. Once the apple is soft and golden, remove from the heat.
- Cut the sweet potato and pile the apple slices up on top. Finish with a drizzle of honey if you like, and eat hot, preferably in a bowl, with a spoon.
FODMAP note: I realise this recipe is a bit of a FODMAP nightmare, with almost all the ingredients potential triggers. However, you could use a small sweet potato and try it with pear slices instead and maple syrup, which all rate lower on the scale and are less likely to be triggers.
Add crispy baked uncured bacon for added savory taste!